Thursday 20 May 2010

Rainbowroom Waltz


The story behind this track is that I set out to write a waltz for a certain special someone. But unfortunately, well, things didn't go as planned and like many other things I was working on I didn't finish it because I was feeling a little too cynical to write a damn love song. But thankfully, Luke intervened and made this song what it is today. It's really his song, but I'm jealous because it's my favorite. The lyrics are just right. My favorite line is "Oh you ask me what I mean when I say 'I love you'. / What do you mean? What do I mean? / It's obvious what I mean."

It's about two people sharing the final dance way up in the elegant Rainbowroom at the top of the Rockefeller Center in New York City. It looks like this:


When you're not here a day can last an age
An age is worth it for one moment with you on the stage
Your head it nestles under my chin as we dance
And the way it makes me feel is just ineffable
Well I guess it's like staring down Bleaker street at sunset

Dancers around us blur into a convolution
And timeless we stand here alone in the ether

Oh you ask me what I mean when I say "I love you"
What do you mean? What do I mean? It's obvious what I mean
We're here above the clouds in New York City
And the band announced that this will be the last Dance
And it's time to go but I don't want to go

Well I'm sure as hell that I don't deserve you
And I can't think what you can see in me

1 comment:

  1. Dude apparently I've had six referrals in two days from your blog. I love Google Analytics!

    ReplyDelete